Social Media Training and Education
" 95 percent of government employees believe that social networking tools are important for improving service to the public. "
Nearly one-third of Internet users are using social media to connect with government services and information, and 95 percent of government employees believe that social networking tools are important or very important for improving service to the public. Yet there is no standardized social media training or curriculum to ensure the technology is used safely and effectively by government employees.
Federal Consulting Group, in collaboration with your organization, can establish a training program to meet the growing government demand for social media instruction. The program will enable government staff and leadership to receive critical training on the most effective and efficient uses of social media to meet agency demands.
Sample training topics include:
- Social media 101
- Social media for managers and senior executives
- Social media for educators
- Operational security concerns
- Crafting social media policies
- Writing for Web 2.0
- Twitter tips & tricks
- Enhancing project management via social media platforms
- Improving branding and recruitment through Web 2.0
- Data visualization tools
- Engaging citizens and employees through social media
- Benchmarking social media outreach
- Web 2.0 performance management
- The science of social media
Online, Video Conference and Instructor-led options:
Our interactive courses are created in Flash and can be viewed by ordinary web browsers. Agencies desiring a hassle-free implementation can take advantage of our hosted learning management system, where attendees simply log into a website to view the courses, and progress is tracked by the system. Most prefer this " always available " web-based delivery, where attendees can work at their own pace and on their own schedule. For clients who desire instructor-led training in a classroom setting, the Federal Consulting Group' s experienced educators can present the same material in custom on-site or videoconference arrangement.
Existing offerings include a 12-hour " Introduction to Social Media " course, with components addressing:
- Intro to leading social media sites
- Social media statistics
- Online marketing and advertising
- Social media optimization
- Web analytics
- Twitter & Facebook strategies
- Blogging strategies
- Blog types & FAQs
- The culture of social media
We also offer training on the following:
- How to read and craft a social media policy
- Operational security and situational awareness
- Advanced instruction on each of the leading SM platforms
- Social Media for senior leadership
- Web search and information retrieval
Intermediate and advanced training solutions answer the following questions:
- How do I track what people are saying about my organization on social media?
- How do I measure the effectiveness of my social media outreach?
- How can I do more with less?
- Which social media platforms provide the best return on investment?
- How should I monitor comments?
- What are the key metrics to watch to gauge my organization' s progress?
Training solutions are produced as multi-hour courses that can also be broken down into component modules, depending on the agencies needs. Coursework focuses on a practical application of social media for organizations – how to deal with Facebook, Twitter, blogging, YouTube, operational security, situational awareness, privacy, and performance measurement as a means of advancing an organization' s communications, marketing and outreach goals.
- Creativity and Innovation
- External Awareness
- Strategic Thinking
- Leveraging Diversity
- Team Building
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Technical Credibility
- Technology Management
- Political Savvy
- Influencing and Negotiating
For more information, contact FCG at (202) 513-7687 or visit our website at fcg.nbc.gov.
Last Reviewed: May 2, 2012